Re: Feedback on your Whois system proposal - Was: Re: Review of personal information sources in Debian

Martín Ferrari <martin.ferrari@gmail.com> writes:

> (Sorry I've been so slow to respond, I was pretty busy these days)

+1 ;)

>> Also may I suggest to think about adding a FOAF profile [1] and similar
>> machine-processable (RDF based, for interoperability benefits) documents
>> in addition to human readable ones, so that one can aggregate his debian
>> whois with other forms of personnal profiles.
>
> I'm all for that, yes. I don't know anything about these formats, but
> once the data is there, it'll probably be just a matter of producing a
> different output, or am I missing something?

Not really ;)

My advice would be to try and seek details on RDF as Turtle and not XML,
if you happen to need more documentation.

The great thing about FOAF and by extension WebID (see my response to
Enrico), is that it's natively interoperable with other services
(thinking about Debian derivatives' or upstreams') in principle.

Now, some people are reluctant in implementing RDF as they think RDF ==
XML, but that is not true, as RDF is just a model with various
implementations lile XML, or Turtle (more human readable) or JSON, etc.

But anyway, to give an example of what RDF can be like, see
http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/weblog/2012/08/24/generating-rdf-description-of-debian-package-sources-with-adms-sw/
and try to think where the FOAF profiles of the maintainers of Apache
would fit (hint : schema:contributor).

I hope you'll enjoy the trip to the Semantic Web ;)

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER
Ingenieur Recherche - Dept INF