Re: Presentation of iso downloads - simpler like Fedora?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:41:15 +0200
> Von: Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
> An: debian-project@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Presentation of iso downloads - simpler like Fedora?

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 09:59:45PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> wrote:
> very
> or
> even

> > > What about the direct link on top right of http://www.debian.org ?
> >
> > Whatever the reason, a lot of people seems to miss that "Download" box.
> > I mean it.
>
> Yeah, I did as well, when I last looked at it.

This thread pointed me to it. The "Getting Debian" is what jumped at me. And I had a colleague next to me whom I wanted to stop from installing Ubuntu by downloading the iso quickly since he was already burning Ubuntu's. One is guided to the Ubuntu ISOs more easily than with Debian, too, just more nerve-wrecking than with Fedora because of the extra clicks. The download link did not allow to change to Wheezy, which these days might possibly be worthwhile to announce a bit more.

> I think it is unfortunate that the button is part of the banner, I guess
> I quickly skip over the banner because I do not expect any important
> content in it and many other users might as well.
>
> Having a button left/right of the "Getting Started" section might be
> more visible.

This apparently trivial thing delayed my sleep for a few nights now. We are covering more architectures than Fedora or Ubuntu. Our download page should then be allowed to be more complicated. But quite a few who may be new to Linux may possibly want to be guided a bit more towards the right thing to download than what they get on http://www.debian.org/distrib/ and then http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst or http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-amd64/current/images/.
And what when you want to try the current developent release not the stable  one? I find this hard to find. Well, we do not want _every_ user we possibly could have.

I do not have any immediate answer. We just do an awful lot of things. And not all fits on the home page. And is the web page a page for us developers? Or about us developers and how Debian works? Or should it primarily bring our product to our users so our work gets the best possible perception? Something else?

Anyway, I just looked around at Ubuntu.com and like that a lot, also for what they are doing. RedHat is a catastrophe, even worse than our site at a first glimpse, SuSE a bit better than Redhat.  Fedora is nice. Truly nice, not only for the download but also for the integration of communty spirits.

Steffen