Re: The DM status and its recognition (was: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads)

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59:53PM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
> even more, becoming DM seems more and more understood as a suggested and
> advised procedure towards a full DD status. I do not think this is how
> the original endorsement was meant.
> Moreover, at least that's my impression from hanging around in Mentoring
> mailing lists and channels, many people (and by people I mean primarily
> developer not involved in sponsoring) also consider the DM status as a
> "DD light" version, advocated to people who are known as advanced
> packagers.
I did this several times on #-mentors and I'll do it again.

The opening paragraphs: "It is highly recommended to be a Debian
Maintainer before applying to the Debian New Maintainers process to become
an official Debian Developer".

"Becoming a Debian Developer": "You should be a Debian Maintainer for six
months before applying to the Debian New Member Process".

"It is highly recommended that you become familiar with the role of Debian
Maintainer and apply for this role before applying to become a Debian

While these words do not mean "DM status is needed *only* for prospective
DDs", it is easy to imply that.