Re: The DM status and its recognition (was: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads)

Hi,

On 11.06.2012 22:41, Moray Allan wrote:
> It is extremely disappointing to me (but not surprising) that some
> people even discourage potential new Debian members from joining,
> telling them that DM status should be enough for them.

even more, becoming DM seems more and more understood as a suggested and
advised procedure towards a full DD status. I do not think this is how
the original endorsement was meant.

Moreover, at least that's my impression from hanging around in Mentoring
mailing lists and channels, many people (and by people I mean primarily
developer not involved in sponsoring) also consider the DM status as a
"DD light" version, advocated to people who are known as advanced
packagers.

However, this is not what DM upload permissions actually mean. They are
committed to people who are supposed to maintain a single package all
alone because they were proofing for a rather short period of time that
they act responsible and trustworthy. Not more, not less.

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll