Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 13:09:40 +0900, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> I think that this is important that, when considering joining Debian,
> contributors can be reassured that they will not be put a sticker on their head
> by others.  This dicussion tends to the contrary.

My point exactly.

If we had fields for "race", or "caste", or "social class" in our LDAP
it would say something very worrying about our project IMO.

If people want to think of themselves in such terms, I suppose that's
fair enough, as long as they don't impose their categorisations on
others.

Declaring such categorisations about oneself can be problematic though,
since they tend to be divisive.  If I were to say that I consider myself
a particular class (being from the UK, there is a certain cultural
attachment to the concept of class) then I would be implicitly also
declaring my opinion that class has a useful objective existence, and
that I thought it was important enough to mention, and that I probably
use it to enable me to look down on people that I define as being from
other classes.

If I discovered a society, or association that declared that they didn't
discriminate on grounds of social class, I'd assume that it was founded
by somewhat enlightened aristocrats who were willing to admit their
servants to the association ... as long as they behaved themselves, and
kept their boots properly polished, and were not too uppity.  Which
probably tells you more about my class prejudices than anything else ;-)

Cheers, Phil.