Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:07:33 -0400, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> If we say we accept people of all races or that we dont discriminate
> based on race, then we are not the ones who are going to discriminate,
> and this is a good thing and is welcoming.

Well, except for the fact that by saying that one is reinforcing the
notion that race means something useful, which it really doesn't.

For instance, what race would Sandra Laing be, daugher of gernerations
of white Afrikaners, with the misfortune to have been born with black
skin under apartheid:

   http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2003/mar/17/features11.g2

The concept of race only seems to be useful to racists, and perhaps
bean-counters who want to demonstrate their organisation's lack of
racism by the racial diversity that they can get people to admit to on
forms.

Cheers, Phil.