Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Hello,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 13:43:46 -0400
> Von: Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net>
> An: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
> CC: Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net>, debian-project@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:59:01AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:07:33 -0400, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net>
> wrote:
> > > If we say we accept people of all races or that we dont discriminate
> > > based on race, then we are not the ones who are going to discriminate,
> > > and this is a good thing and is welcoming.
> >
> > Well, except for the fact that by saying that one is reinforcing the
> > notion that race means something useful, which it really doesn't.
>
> In an ideal world, none of this would matter. Alas, we do not live in that
> place.

Not in RL, but from the Debian packaging perspective, I think we are at least very very close to such idealism and the only race conditions we have are very technical and are reported as bugs already. I am with Philip and suggest to postpone discussions about racial discrimination until we have an issue within Debian or with those redistributing our packages. If you refer to an unequal distribution of our distribution in the world, to me the answer is about helping our marketing, or help some team building somewhere as a seed/bridge into a remote community.

Steffen