Re: Summary of scientific research on Debian (was: DD age histogram)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:27:58AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> - 10.1016/j.scico.2010.11.001
> - 10.1007/978-3-642-15579-6_40
> - 10.1109/MSR.2010.5463277
> - 10.1109/ESEM.2009.5316017
> - 10.1007/978-3-642-14819-4_19

I have added pages for the above. Should all be visible from

  http://wiki.debian.org/CategoryPublication

> At the same time, as a scholar in this field, I don't think it's
> feasible to imagine paper (co-)authors to actually maintain those
> pages. I've myself to already maintain that in several places (e.g.
> for periodic review of my work by the university and/or state) and I
> won't be particularly willing to do it in yet another place. You might
> want to encourage it a bit more by providing some automated submission
> interface (which of course will be SPAM prone ...). To be honest, it
> seems to me that the only way this could be kept current is if someone
> other than the authors will step up and maintain a "Debian Research
> Bibliography" from within Debian.

If we are talking about abstract+DOI+citation I don't see much of an
issue with becoming outdated. it is mostly a matter of initial
"submission" -- it took me about a minute to paste the relevant bits into
the template. I imagine it would need A LOT of papers to justify the time
that would need to go into an automated submission machinery.

I'd assume that people who are interested enough to communicate their
research to Debian would also be able to invest this time -- as long as
they can easily find where and how to place this information. I have added
a snippet with instructions to the above page.

Of course this is not saying that making it even easier wouldn't be a
good thing.

> We might also want to find an interesting place where to link this from
> www.d.o, as it might increase the visibility.

Yes please!

> As a last data point, several DebConf-s ago (<= 2007, at least),
> Benjamin Mako Hill held a BoF about research done on and around
> Debian. It was from all point of views (social sciences, computer
> science, etc.), but I'm pretty sure the BoF was based on some
> bibliography of his. You might want to check that with him.

Thanks for the note.

Michael

--
Michael Hanke