Re: Greaat disappointment

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 12:10:36PM +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 22:34 -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 01:55:01AM +0200, Qactuar Rogue wrote:
>
> > you will find a much better response if you ask your question on the
> > debian-user mailing list. That list is more representative of the good people
> > who use debian than the IRC channel. IRC is another kind of beast. It is more
> > hit or miss. Debian does not pay people to moderate IRC or the mailing lists,
> > we are a group of volunteers.
>
> I am surprised by the perception of IRC support in the Debian community
> exemplified by this mail. I do not know about your own experiences, Mark, but
> I have the impression that some people (still?) think that IRC support is best
> to be avoided, that support on the mailing lists is better and that something
> needs to be done about our IRC culture.
Hi,
yes, I have gotten great support on IRC. But some people are not as accustomed
to IRC and may be more considerate when they compose their words for a mailing
list vs an IRC chat. And I suspected that he/she was 'very direct' on IRC and
knew it would not necessarily get a good responce. So I mentioned the mailing
list as a way that I felt would be more supportive for newbies not familar with
IRC.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|