Re: DEP5: CANDIDATE and ready for use in squeeze+1

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 08:56:57PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
On ke, 2011-01-12 at 19:16 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Is that so?!? Then please clarify what the paranthesis below means:

> Files:
>   Required (not in header paragraph).

It means that in the first paragraph (called "header paragraph" for reasons I am not entirely sure of), the Files field is not required. The first paragraph applies to the package as a whole, rather than each file separately.

In the other paragraphs, the Files field is required, and those paragraphs apply to each file separately. This is a subtle distinction, and may be too subtle for me, but seems to be important.

My understanding is that our previous special handling of an initial Files: * section was changed into the header paragraph having an implicit "Files: *" section with optional Copyright and License added.

Yes, something like that happened. I thought things were clear at the time. If not, then it may be necessary to re-open this point.

The history, however, matters less than the actual specification text. The people of the future will read the spec only. If you, or anyone, has a clarification or other change to propose, please do so with a diff to be applied to the svn version. At this stage, I don't want to make any changes that are not obvious minor bugs, and I do not want the burden of formulating further changes myself.

I agree with current wording. And if you and I both agree on the interpretation, then I see no need for clarification of the DEP5.

...but then it is your response, I disagree with:

You wrote:
the "Files" field must always be there explicitly.

...which is false - it need not be there in the initial paragraph.

Sorry if that was clear to everyone but me.

 - Jonas