Re: commercial spam on planet

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 08:27:01AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> How about making the planet disarm all links that point elsewhere than
> the same domain as the blog post that contains it?  Perhaps a little
> too draconian?

Yes, because there can be genuine reasons for doing so.

E.g., when I want to post something about a picture I took, I'm not
going to put that picture on my gallery site; I just don't have the
bandwidth there to do so. Instead, I'll post it on flickr and include
that in the blog post. And since flickr requires me to add a link to the
picture page if I do that, I'll follow their terms of use and do so.
Yes, that means that flickr will be able to track stuff. And?

On the matter at hand: personally, I think that the current situation is
not a problem. In my world view, there's a major difference between a
link meant to support the author of a blog post on a voluntary basis
(such as a flattr link) and an annoying animated GIF that advertises a
product or website which doesn't have anything to do with the subject at
hand but is shown because some computer program somewhere, based on an
AI implementation that is broken by definition[1], believes it does.

I am a bit annoyed by the style of Raphaël's posts, which clearly tend
to be a bit "commercial" in nature -- not as in advertising products or
similar, but advertising his blog as a medium, to be something that
loads of people might be interested in. And though the flattr links
don't help in alleviating that annoyance, they're certainly not the
source of it. And as such, I don't think that blocking the flattr links
will take away my annoyance.

Note that this isn't meant to be personal; Raphaël's posts are not the
only ones that annoy me, and he is one of a number of authors on Planet
Debian whose posts I regularly skip, simply because their style just
doesn't agree with me. But since Raphaël's example had already been
mentioned in this discussion...

I think it's just a matter of personal preference; and while it's a good
thing to once in a while check whether the readership of Planet Debian
still finds it to be a good medium, my vote currently would not be to
change anything.

[1] we don't have actual working AI yet, so anything that claims to be
AI is broken by definition.

trying to fool the system.