Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

]] Michael Gilbert

| On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:27:08 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > You don't think so.  I do.  One of the reasons is it puts a, IMO too
| > low value on other, similar work, so by taking petty donations for
| > small pieces of work, you are lowering the value of my work too.
| > Lowering the value of the work your codevelopers are doing is, IMO,
| > rude.  I realise that's not the intention of asking for money, but
| > the effect is there.
| How can you possibly reduce the monetary value of volunteer work?  Or
| more inquisitively, how is it even feasible to assign a price to such
| work in the first place?

I did not write monetary value, I wrote value.

By not assigning a monetary value to the work, it gets valued by its
usefulness (or prettyness or whatever).  Once you assign a monetary
value to it, the non-monetary value gets in the background because
people will use the monetary value as a proxy for its non-monetary

Let me make a simile, which like all similes are not perfect, but might
get my point across, since it seems people find it hard to understand:
Assume you are helping a friend move house. They offer you €2 for the
work.  Would you be happy?  I'd be insulted, since what they're doing is
assigning a very low value on your work, rather than just saying «Thanks
value they put on your work and thereby how appreciated you feel will be

| […] According to your argument, all of Debian's volunteers are doing
| the world a major disservice in actively preventing a potential $13
| billion in revenue from infusing into the economy.  How cruel!?

I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion at all.  Also, I would
believe a fair amount of the upstream (and Debian) development is done
by people paid to do that work, so surely that number should be

Tollef Fog Heen