Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:56:18 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>>> I respectfully disagree.  Depending on the context and the situation,
>>> I may consider someone asking me to give them money to be intrusive
>>> and obnoxious, and I reserve the right to complain when it happens in
>>> shared public space.

>> You can complain all you want (a valid expression of your freedom of
>> speech), but you have no right to restrict others' freedom of the same.

> But, in fact, I do, because this is happening on a project machine, and I
> am a voting Debian Developer.

>> Raphael has every right to attempt to pursue his field of endeavor in
>> any tolerant/respectful manner he chooses.

> ...using his own property.  But not using Debian project resources.

Incidentally, I want to clarify what I'm saying in this whole subthread,
because this subthread is drifting into a meta-discussion about whether or
not people are allowed to complain.

I'm *not* saying that Raphael is violating the Debian usage policy, nor am
I saying that I want him to stop doing anything.  I actually haven't made
up my mind, and if folks recall, my original statement of personal
preference at the start of this thread is actually much weaker than our
existing usage policy (our usage policy should take precedent over that
opinion).  I'm also not saying that I'm in favor of a GR or anything on
this topic.

However, what I am saying is that this idea that people should not
complain, or the even more strongly expressed opinion from Michael Gilbert
that this is some sort of free speech issue, is nonsense.

Planet Debian is a Debian project resource run on project systems by the
DSA team, which means that Debian project members do indeed get to have a
say on what content is acceptable for it.  We do have a right to complain,
as members of the project whose resources are being used to carry this
content.  Free speech principals don't imply that the project is required
to allow its resources to be used for anything anyone wishes to use them
for.

We *do* have a clear project usage policy saying that project resources
may not be used for personal commercial gain.  People who want to make
sweeping statements about free speech need to make sure that those beliefs
are relevant in the presence of that usage policy, or need to realize that
they're arguing for throwing out our usage policy (which is a much broader
change than anyone's mentioned on this thread).