Dealing with off-topic mail (was Re: The role of debian-private)

Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Christoph Berg, 2010-06-09]
>
> > Too few MUAs have a button for "don't bother me about new mail
> > in this (sub-)thread".
>
> I wish all off-topic mails were marked with "OT" tag in the subject,
> dovecot moves such mails (including the ones tagged with "VAC") to a
> different mailbox for me.
>
> How about at least sending private replies to all senders who forgot to
> tag their mails, just like we do with unwanted CCs?

I know some people are more off-topic than I am, but I never sent a mail marked as off-topic and doubt that I will. Since I never looked at offtopic medias, I'm not in a good position to judge, but I guess few people participate there.
I agree with Christoph that offtopicness is relative. I don't expect many people to send mails they'll mark as offtopic. And I don't think sending private complains to people who forgot to mark their mails offtopic will be efficient.

Jurij Smakov started a discussion on message voting/scoring/rating: http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2008/12/msg00089.html
Such a system could help coping with offtopic mails. The project: https://alioth.debian.org/projects/mailvoting/
Like others, it could use more manpower...