Re: A team to grant rights on collab-maint?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Why not automatically include all DMs in the collab-maint group?

No objection from me. But I don't know how to map DM to alioth accounts.

> And to drive the idea further, what about a public-maint group that
> everyone with an alioth account can commit to? That sounds like an
> interesting experiment to see if random people generate good commits
> or tend to screw things up. (There's still someone who need to do the
> actual upload. I'd hope they do review changes.)

Setting an ACL and/or changing permissions to 666 is easy to try, but:
1/ we don't like world-writable files on Alioth (they are scrutinized by
the admins)
2/ in practice collab-maint is not far from that given that I grant access
almost automatically if they are already part of another project

I'm pretty sure you would have the same result than with collab-maint
(no problems in practice).

> If there's still too many legitimate (non-DM) requests to join
> collab-maint, that sounds rather like a problem with the definition of
> access than a executive body deciding on individual requests.

It's true that the best solution would be that all DD can add -guest
accounts to collab-maint (very much like all DD can sponsor packages for
the same set of persons). But adding all DD as admins of collab-maint is
not a solution for this (getting every request to join mailed to all DD is
clearly counter-productive).

Even better would be a dedicated service where all DDs can request a VCS
for any package and where they can control the ACL package by package.
With most distributed VCS repositories this is already the case but
requires setfacl knowledge which really limits the usage of this feature
(and it gets complicated when multiple users already own files in the
repository).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog