Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:59:40PM +0530, dE . wrote:
> Problem is you have to make these DVD/CD, or in general storage media.
> Windows people are not willing to do that...they just want click and
> install.

You want people to be able to install packages without a network, and
without using DVDs/CDs.

What, pray, are you intending them to click on if it's neither media nor a
network resource?

> People get confused and scared when they see so many packages which
> are suppose to be 'installed' in someway.

I have no idea who these people are, but your proposed solution is not an
appropriate response to irrational fears.

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 04:31:41PM +0530, dE . wrote:

> I myself use Gentoo;

So you don't actually use the tools you're suggesting to modify, and don't
understand how they work in the first place?

> > Sorry, running stuff to install things is the hardest part. Because it
> > requires very hard checks that it will only install stuff and not do
> > evil things or allow installing stuff as user (and then having all the
> > hassle to move things manually to their final place).

> That is a disadvantage, but following the advantages, the security
> part is acceptable.

It sounds like you are saying that it's acceptable to compromise security in
order to make it easier for end users to install software.

Over my dead body.