Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
> * dE . <de.techno@gmail.com> [100105 09:26]:
>> A problem comes for people who apparently think that Debian based
>> distributions or Linux in general is useless when it comes to software
>> installation without the internet. Well...yes, software installation
>> can be done offline with apt, but it's not easy compared to the system
>> that windows has set up.
>
> Here I must severly contradict.
>
>> The easiest way to install a software in an offline computer is to
>> make a package which will install the software by simply running it.
>
> Sorry, running stuff to install things is the hardest part. Because it
> requires very hard checks that it will only install stuff and not do
> evil things or allow installing stuff as user (and then having all the
> hassle to move things manually to their final place).
>
>> In Linux, the issue is the dependencies, if all dependencies (relative
>> to a Debian based OS install) is made to be integrated within a single
>> package the problem will be solved.
>
> Which problem? dpkg is quite good in that regard: just give it a number
> of .deb files to install and unless there are any Pre-Depends (which
> usual non-system packages should not have), dpkg will sort out the order
> to unpack/configure stuff. And if some dependencies are missing a single
> apt-get install -f after it will usually get those from your CD/other
> offline medium you have.
>
> Hochachtungsvoll,
>        Bernhard R. Link
>

> Here I must severly contradict.

I myself use Gentoo; the OS is completely disabled without an internet
connection...people (to whom I'm installing Linux) are not willing to
install it cause of this issue...they say it's hard.

> Sorry, running stuff to install things is the hardest part. Because it
> requires very hard checks that it will only install stuff and not do
> evil things or allow installing stuff as user (and then having all the
> hassle to move things manually to their final place).

That is a disadvantage, but following the advantages, the security
part is acceptable.

> Which problem? dpkg is quite good in that regard: just give it a number
> of .deb files to install and unless there are any Pre-Depends (which
> usual non-system packages should not have), dpkg will sort out the order
> to unpack/configure stuff. And if some dependencies are missing a single
> apt-get install -f after it will usually get those from your CD/other
> offline medium you have.

A common user is absolutely not willing to do that...he wants it
simple...like in windows.