Proposing removal of pump: anyone wants it?
while hacking on wicd, I looked at the various DHCP clients we have in
Debian. I believe that pump could be removed from our archives, but I'm
sending this mail in case anyone really needs it -- in this case, we keep it
and I'll just remove support for it from wicd.
The first issue is: pump has no upstream. debian/copyright shows the source
was taken from Fedora Core  (reports 404) -- now that it changed name,
the new url seems to be , and there's no trace of pump there.
The last upstream release seems to be 0.8.24, uploaded to Debian on Sat, 26
The package is QA-maintained since Nov 21, 2008, and no one seems to have
stepped up in its maintainership since then.
It has the second popcon inst value, compared to other DHCP clients we have:
* dhcp3-client inst: 82439 vote: 41586 old: 35640 recent: 81 nofiles: 9
* pump inst: 665 vote: 120 old: 487 recent: 58 nofiles: 0
* dhcpcd inst: 583 vote: 154 old: 387 recent: 42 nofiles: 0
* udhcpc inst: 118 vote: 35 old: 73 recent: 9 nofiles: 1
* isc-dhcp-client inst: 73 vote: 45 old: 24 recent: 4 nofiles: 0
* dibbler-client inst: 18 vote: 9 old: 8 recent: 1 nofiles: 0
(isc-dhcp-client is in experimental, and dibbler-client is for DHCPv6)
It only has one strong reverse dependency, xnetcardconfig, whose popcon inst
apt-cache rdepends shows other packages too:
wicd: pump is an alternative dependency:
dhcpcd | dhcp3-client | pump | udhcpc
- resolvconf: an older version of pump is listed in Conflicts
netscript-2.4-upstart: Suggests: dhclient | pump | dhcpcd
What do you think about this?
. ''`. Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
: :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/
`. `'` GPG: 1392B174 ----|---- http://snipr.com/qa_page
`- 2BAB C625 4E66 E7B8 450A C3E1 E6AA 9017 1392 B174