Re: Debian money

> Steve McIntyre <leader@debian.org> writes:
> >  4 Marketing stuff:
> >    a box(es) of equipment to take to stands at various shows and
> >      expos. Might be useful, but could be expensive. Where do we store
> >      it/them? Who organises shipping?
>
> I think this is something which we should pursue. I generally have the
> impression that the Debian booth is relatively boring, while other
> projects seem to be better in properly decorating, displaying their
> products and attracting interest. We should definitely work on that -
> currently, the Debian project booth is usually just like prejudices
> against Debian: Highly technical, unattractive and of no interest to new
> users.

While this is something Debian as a project should do at some extend, I think
an Occam Razor should be applied in order not to blindly follow the
corporatocracy to the extend when Debian looses its charm as a volunteer
project and begins to resemble a corporation spending bloody bucks for
preparing slick and artificial looks&feels, which is not a rocket science. Just
for the record, I'm not attacking Ubuntu here, not at all, it is just a
different plateau to exists.

More long lasting, innovative, non-intrusive, and sometimes cheaper and easier
to achieve ways exists to advertise a volunteer project like that: wearing
debian/rules tshirts, having car rear window sticker of www.debian.org, using
Debian on your portable computers... People jealous and really get interested
if you are *different and innovative*, which could be considered as some sort
of a rocket science;-)

P.S. This is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to correct anything Marc
previously wrote.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>