Re: Debian money / Hardware certification

Hi,

Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
Yes. There's a kindof "market point" I've been wishing on Debian for years "knowing" that it simply could happen: certifications and generally rising attention to commercial producers, both hardware and (free/open) software.

I think there's right now a thread on debian-users of an individual asking for hardware 100% supported because of management. I know that, say, Dell certifices/is certified by Red Hat because both the companies have the management the time and the money to reach each other, talk and find their common interest points. It's may opinion that Debian is the perfect platform for them: all development being in the open you know from far away if your hardware/software will be able to play along next Stable version; if you need/want to maintain your own (free) software is quite easy to get into Debian repos (you just need to "play nice"); even if you plan to develop on the proprietary side, you will be able to use the very same tools than Debian for easy and smooth integration. Being Debian a non for profit with high ethics you can count on it not trying to stab you in the back if the wind blows in favor of your competitors...

actually, as far as I can tell, this is already a topic on Dell's Agenda because, here in Germany at least, they are getting some pressure from their customers (e.g. ISPs) to support Debian on their Hardware. So if, say, the DPL were to approach them, something constructive might even happen without a lot of money being spent. If there is interest in this I could try to find out who the right people to approach would be (I don't liason directly with Dell, but I know the people in my company who do).

Regards,
Michael