Re: Switching the default startup method

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> I'm not saying this kind of bug will occur; indeed, given that Petter
> has been working on this for a long time, I would be surprised if there
> were many such bugs in Debian.
>
> However, we cannot be sure whether this is or is not the case until
> we've tried; and in cases where the system does break, people should be
> able to disable it, at the very least until the bug is found and fixed
> and their system can be made usable again with the new option enabled.

FTR, there *are* bugs in the init script dependencies of some packages, just
like it was possible that some maintainer missed a case where their init
script would start either too soon or too late with the previous ordering.
The difference is that now many tests can be performed and the bugs fixed;
for example, more or less a week ago all the init scripts of the archive
were copied together and ordered with insserv to determine missing
dependencies and detect other bugs. Even more lintian checks will follow.

And in the case where it breaks (because I don't expect any such bug to
break the whole boot system; I have myself performed many experiments) it
is as easy as modifying the init script.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net