Re: On cadence and collaboration

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 08:44:29PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Margarita Manterola wrote:
> > If Debian commits to a December freeze, would that mean that Ubuntu
> > commits to releasing 10.04 with KDE 4.3 (already released) and [...]
> The proposal as I understood it was that in December, the key component
> maintainers / release managers from all interested distributions would
> discuss, on a public mailing list, their plans for the base versions of
> those components in their 2010 releases.

That seems very different to what's usually meant in Debian by "freeze"
(and "freeze" was the term used in both the debian-announce and
debian-devel-announce mails). AFAICS, a December agreement of that sort
would mean a Debian freeze somewhere between January and March.

> The rough guide I heard was that, if we looked at the list in December,
> we'd probably be able to agree on things like the default versions of
> Python, Perl, X and GCC, but that it might be harder on kernel, GNOME
> and KDE.

It'd be nice to hear from the release team if this was what they were
considering...

Cheers,
aj