Re: Debian redesign

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 10:38:42AM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>
> >> certainly not because I dont like (semi)naked people or whatever - but
> >> because I dont like stereotypes, and especially not to represent an
> >> universal OS.
> >
> > I can agree to some point with the stereotyping, but that does not change
> > the fact that *nothing* in the posters tells people they should conform
> > to them.
>
> What might help avoid stereotypes is to increase the diversity of the
> people shown.  Increase the average age and dress them up completely
> differently.  This could promote the universality aspect.

Possibly.  I liked the intention of the images, and the way the text
slogan related to the picture.  However, I wasn't entirely sure what
to take from the combination that was specific to Debian.  If I didn't
already know what Debian was or what it was about, I think I'd be
rather confused.  If the intent of the whole is to convey particular
messages about Debian the Project and the Distribution, I think that
(for me at least) it was a bit too subtle, since I didn't really
identify with them as representing Debian as I see it.

That's not to say I didn't like them.  I thought the artwork was
*great*, and really thought they were nice.  I didn't really find the
images "semi-naked" or inappropriate as others did, though I suspect
these images are not entirely representative of the Debian users and
developers I know personally ;-)

Regards,
Roger

--