Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:07:39PM +0000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>   Debian stable             Ubuntu LTS
>
>   2 year rel cycle          2 year rel cycle
>   3 years security          3 years desktop security, 5 years server
>   guaranteed freeze date    guaranteed release date
>   support for all pkgs      support for main, best-effort for universe
>   stabilise from testing    upgrade support from previous Ubuntu 6mo release
>   upgrade from oldstable    upgrade support from previous Ubuntu LTS (?)
>   support for 6-12 archs    support for 2-3 architectures
>                             availability of pre-installed systems
>                             full-time security support staff
>                             commercial quality support
>                             larger userbase
>                             some additional packages

Debian stable has commercial quality support as well, but it is
significantly harder to find companies offering such and it requires
corporate entities to actuall think (*gah*) and take a choice, both of
which is mostly undesired in current commerceland. Plus for Ubuntu,
since one can simply go to canonical without having to decide.

Greetins
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190