Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

Why not freeze in June 2010 instead of December 2009 and then freeze
again in December 2011*?  Mark Shuttleworth seems (at least seemed) to
be fine with delaying Ubuntu LTS by half a year to get Ubuntu and Debian
in sync [1]:

| The LTS will be either 10.04 or 10.10 - based on the conversation that
| is going on right now between Debian and Ubuntu.

Besides having more time to make Squeeze a great Debian release, one
could also revisit the need to support "skip-upgrades" if the freeze
would be postponed.

In his blog Lucas highlights the similarity between the next Ubuntu LTS
and the next Debian release, but he also points out the need to
differentiate us from Ubuntu.  This sounds contrary.  He also asks how
we are relevant but does not give an answer [2]:

| after the releases (both Ubuntu’s and Debian’s), users will get to
| choose between two very similar distributions. We need to think about
| how Debian will differenciate itself from Ubuntu: what should we
| emphasize? How are we relevant?

I hope he does not want to imply that we should let Ubuntu release for
us anytime in the future.  Some pros and cons of such a step have
already been discussed in our wiki years ago [3].

Carsten

 * Or freeze again in December 2012 if one and a half year is not enough
   time between two Ubuntu LTS releases.

 [1] http://derstandard.at/fs/1246541995003/Interview-Shuttleworth-about-GNOME-30---Whats-good-whats-missing-what-needs-work
 [2] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=375
 [3] http://wiki.debian.org/LetUbuntuReleaseForUs