Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On 2009-07-30 13:12 (+0200), Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2009-07-30 11:36 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>> Oh, and Debian got hundreds of active developers, and I doubt they'll
>> be running to Shuttleworth anytime soon.
>
> Probably not, but the release synchronization with Ubuntu may make
> them feel that they are working for him, which can be a great
> demotivation.

That's why it would be interesting to hear some concrete ideas how
useful this would be for the parties. How pros and cons balance? I'll
start:

Ubuntu
======

  + Ubuntu always gets a frozen and pretty stable system even if they
    don't communicate at all with Debian. (This is just a mind exercise,
    I'm sure there is some collaboration.)

  + Better-quality LTS releases. Happier users and customers.

  + More collaboration between Debian and Ubuntu package maintainers and
    teams.

Debian
======

  + More collaboration between Debian and Ubuntu package maintainers and
    teams.

  - Debian developers may feel that it's Ubuntu which they are working
    for in the end. Possibly with the feeling that some of the
    decision-making escapes the Debian developer community. Can be
    demotivating.

  - OK, Ubuntu x.04 was released in April but because of their lower
    quality standards and the 6-month release cycle they most likely
    won't be helping Debian to fix the rest of the difficult RC bugs.
    They are already working on their next 6-month period. Ubuntu gets a
    lot of publicity because of the release but Debian always comes "too
    late", literally always after Ubuntu. (It's worth the wait for many
    people but the possible negative publicity can be demotivating for
    Debian community.)

    A couple of months later eventually the RC bugs are fixed in Debian
    and there is a release. Ubuntu will apply some of the bug fixes to
    their LTS x.y.1 releases (3-month point release cycle). This can
    make some Debian developers feel that Ubuntu gets something for free
    again without contributing back. Can be demotivating.

  + Debian's quality probably won't decrease (except for Squeeze maybe).

  + [Please invent more concrete benefits for Debian developers and
    users.]

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic. After all what do I know? I'm not a
Debian developer, just a user.

Thanks you, all developers! :-)