Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:37, Raphael Hertzog<hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Marc Haber wrote:
>> In fact, I would prefer if Ubuntu had to change _their_ scheduled to
>> accomodate us, if they want to have the advantage of being in sync
>> with us. It's _their_ advantage after all, not ours.
>
> I don't mind who changes the date for the other but I really don't agree
> that doing it is only for Ubuntu's advantage. Nobody in Debian would have
> taken such a decision, we are Debian developers and have no interest in
> helping only Ubuntu.
>
> What we're speaking of is synergy between both distributions. You know the
> it's the principle behind “the combination of both is worth more that the
> sum of individual parts”.
>
>> We are not only major supplier to Ubuntu, we have our end customers
>> ourselves. I'd prefer that it stayed that way.
>
> The synchronization with Ubuntu is not going to remove our identity.
> We'll keep our user base and the possible improvements in both
> distributions will help us do better in the competition with other
> operating systems (proprietary or not).
>
> Cheers,

Me wholly agrees.

Adding to that, the mighty Ian Murdock once stated that if Ubuntu
wins, then Debian wins, that Ubuntu is like a variety of Debian.
Ubuntu has got their market which Debian failed to capture anyways
(desktop), so if they keep honouring publicly stating and recognizing
Debian as their upstream, so much the better, why not. And Ubuntu will
keep growing whether Debian co-operates or not by the way, cuz their
leadership is damn solid.

There's some (many) of us who feel that the great Debian culture is
irreplaceable, and therefore won't use Ubuntu as their primary OS. So
why worry about losing relevance.

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com