Re: so ... let's merge DAM and FD?

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:53:16AM -0700, Richard Hecker wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >In the midst of the huge discussion started at [1], a specific
> >proposal [2] did not appear to have received much counter arguments,
> >namely: merging DAM with FD (both CC-ed).
> >

> ....<snip>...
>
> Lack of people vociferously objecting does not imply consent.
>
> >I believe that there is agreement among the teams there is no other
> >need to "decide" anything else. I felt the need to re-raise this topic
> >because I believe it's an easy way to get rid of some bureaucracy and
> >because I have the impression there might be consensus on that. Is
> >that so?
> >
> >Cheers.
> >
> >[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/06/msg00024.html
> >[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/06/msg00056.html
> >
> While consensus might exist that eliminating bureaucracy is
> good, division of labor can be a good thing too.  I do not think you
> have established the need to combine the FD and DAM tasks.  Are
> you claiming the DAMs are too bureaucratic?

TTBOMK the split was done because it helped take some pressure of elmo's
shoulder. It never worked that well in the end as it rather added more
buffer effects to processing, so in the end, yes, it rather adds
bureaucracy to the whole thing.

OTOH, I'm not sure merging DAM and FD is something that will change the
frace from NM, but for sure, it's a step in the good direction.

--
Intersec <http://www.intersec.com>
Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@intersec.com>