Re: FSF not considering Debian as Free (Re: Debian and non-free)

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote: [...]

>> My understanding of RMS's position is that he would like Debian to
>> follow something like the rule that the FSF has about not linking to
>> any non-free software from their sites, [...]
>
> That rule is a myth.

It most certainly is not.  I can attest to that personally, having been
involved in and followed multiple FSF projects for many years.  It is an
expectation for all GNU projects.

> Their campaign sites like http://badvista.fsf.org and
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ have links to and about non-free
> software - with commentary, but still links.

I would have thought that was fairly obviously not quite the same thing as
what I was talking about.  I didn't state the exact parameters of the rule
in detail, and it's not as simple as just never mentioning the existence
of any non-free software package, but I expected the audience here to be
reasonably familiar already with what I was talking about.

> I think it's counter-productive to spend so much time badmouthing the
> competition, but I'd be happy to see a link from fsf.org to debian that
> noted we have different views on some aspects of freedom.

I'm not bad-mouthing the competition.  As I already said, I'm an associate
FSF member, and I'm involved in several GNU software projects.  Please do
not attribute spurious motives to me without understanding what I'm
saying.

> Anyway, does this thread count as debian.org mentioning non-free.org?
> If so, we've lost already, actually.

No, of course not.