Re: FSF not considering Debian as Free (Re: Debian and non-free)

Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com> writes:

> Translated to the current way things are done, this means that according
> to Richard, the Debian website or Debian refer to the existence of the
> non-free component in a way that suggests getting non-free software from
> there.

My understanding of RMS's position is that he would like Debian to follow
something like the rule that the FSF has about not linking to any non-free
software from their sites, which would mean that we couldn't even tell our
users that non-free existed in standard documentation.

Personally, I think this is not a useful place for Debian to go, even if
Debian itself stopped running the non-free archive.  I also don't think
that FSF endorsement of Debian is sufficiently useful to Debian to be
worth the trouble (and I say that as an FSF member).

I also don't think that the "free Debian" projects are a sign of the FSF
wasting resources on this in any significant fashion.  The last few that
have shown up have sounded like projects that people have started on their
own and asked for FSF blessing for.  They look to me remarkably like the
many vanity Linux distributions that start and fail routinely by the
dozens and generally aren't worth paying much attention to.