Re: Debian and non-free

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

        I think that dilutes the message that those packages are
 non-free, and reduces pressure on the authors to release the
 documentation under a free license.

        main
        non-free
              programs
              documents
              firmware
              art-work
              games

I prefer a division by reasons (but it would be a lot more complex,
so probably not feasible):

non-free:
	firmware
		hardware/software "dilemma"
	not-enough-free
		trademarks, patents, non-commercial,
		legal concerns, etc.
		e.g. GFDL, various non-free compression programs
	standards
		and RFC. This is more a political decision
	historical/emulators
		i.e. old binaries/BIOS, which could maybe seen
		as orphan works. Some fans could try to free
		the code
	free-alternative-not-yet-available
		the worse category
	free-alternative-available
		- as netscape and areader, they should be removed
		  when good alternative are available.
		- as for flash: waiting for other project to mature
		  (which is soon expected)
	artwork
	compatibility
		- e.g. commercial fonts.
		-I think JDK is in this category: available good
		  alternative, but some people need it for
		  compatibility.
		- Maybe also some keys, certificates

Anyway, reading the list of non-free software, I think we could remove
some of the package, e.g.
- album: there are a lot of free alternatives
- agrep: why not packing the old version?
- autodir: we need a free alternative!
- axe: is it obsolete? (last upload in 2006)
- crossvc: obolete?

ciao
	cate