Re: Debian and non-free

On Wed, Sep 17 2008, Bas Wijnen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:38:21AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
>> Michael Banck wrote:

>> > I think we should consider (post-lenny) splitting up non-free in a
>> > couple of sub-categories.  Personally, I'd prefer "fsf-free", but
>> > "non-free-docs" would be just as good, besides "non-free-firmware" and
>> > "non-free" for the rest.
>>
>> I like this idea, but without mentioning FSF directly. More entities than
>> just the FSF use the GNU FDL for licensing.
>
> I would much prefer to mention the FSF directly, actually.  Not because
> it's about their software (or documentation), but because it's about
> their opinion about what is free.  So we get:
>
> - main (dfsg-free)
> - fsf-free (non-dfsg-free, but free according to fsf)
> - non-free-firmware
> - non-free (for all other classes)

        I think that dilutes the message that those packages are
 non-free, and reduces pressure on the authors to release the
 documentation under a free license.

        main
        non-free
              programs
              documents
              firmware
              art-work
              games

        manoj
--
If a man has done evil, let him not keep on doing it. Let him not create
an inclination to it. The accumulation of evil means suffering. 117