Re: Re: Recommender systems (Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems)

Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > I consider filtered indices, auto-responses, shadow lists of only
> > "good" messages, highlighting, integration with db.debian.org and some
> > of the other uses for this data to be recommendation systems.
> >
> A filtered thread index as proposed is not a recommendation list.

A filtered thread index as proposed could be a recommendation system
according to both descriptions posted, although it depends how one
interprets "suggest", "support" and so on, and how much
personalisation one believes is needed to be a recommendation system.

One can just as well see many drawbacks by looking at more general
"collaborative filtering" research - or even out into more general
population clustering work to see the reasons for the drawbacks - but
it's a bit older, so less of it is online, so I didn't refer to it.
I'm pretty sure that someone would react to the obvious problems in
using an unpersonalised filtered thread index (which is a
collaborative filter, isn't it?) by personalising it to make some sort
of simple recommendation system, wouldn't they?

Nevertheless, I now wish I hadn't tried to skip the above step,
because it's resulted in this pedantic subthread.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)