Re: Re: Recommender systems (Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems)

MJ Ray wrote:
Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Various messages in this thread have suggested using the votes as the
> > basis of a recommendation system for messages or authors.
> Ah, do you consider a "filtered thread index" as a recommendation list? > Else what do you consider as a recommendation list?
[...]
I consider filtered indices, auto-responses, shadow lists of only
"good" messages, highlighting, integration with db.debian.org and some
of the other uses for this data to be recommendation systems.
A filtered thread index as proposed is not a recommendation list.

Quoting http://dbis.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/index.php?project=2nd-Gen-RS

Recommender systems are personalization tools that intend to provide people with lists of suggestions that best reflect their individual taste.

Quoting http://recsys.acm.org/
Recommender systems are software applications that aim to support users in their decision-making while interacting with large information spaces. They recommend items of interest to users based on preferences they have expressed, either explicitly or implicitly.