Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 09:38:56AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:
>
> > On Saturday 20 December 2008 21:33:27 MJ Ray wrote:
> > > So, people who remain on the debian mailing lists have a poor
> > > understanding of what should appear a good mailing list,
> >
> > What makes you think that "vocal minority" is larger than "silent
> > majority" in debian mailing lists?
>
> The premise of the original poster (Jurij Smakov) was that the vocal
> minority dominates the mailing list discussions.

I think th premise of George was that "vocal minority" vs. "silent
majority" are different in terms of people posting to lists and people
scoring list posts.  I.e., while it is obvious that the "silent
majority" is pretty silent when it comes to posting to lists, they are
(by definition) reading the list and might score/vote the messages
because it does not publically add to the list.

Michael