Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:01:54PM +0000, Rafal Czlonka wrote:
> > Any employer selecting employees to hire is, by definition,
> > discriminating based on particular criteria. If nothing else, they are
> > (we hope!) discriminating based on demonstrated ability to perform the
> > job functions. So we can't simply request job adverts avoid
> > "discriminatory job offers".
>
> Abilities, knowledge, experience, etc. can be acquired; age cannot.

This seems like a fairly arbitrary and incomplete definition of what would
constitute non-objectionable discriminatory criteria.

If I was wanting to hire a telephone operative, the ability to speak would be
essential. The ability to see would be essential for driving and the ability to
walk might be essential for some other jobs.

If I wanted to hire a male model, the ability to be male would be essential!