Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> I support Jurjs proposal of adding a "Please no discriminatory job
> offers" or such to http://lists.debian.org/debian-jobs/

I do not.

Any employer selecting employees to hire is, by definition,
discriminating based on particular criteria. If nothing else, they are
(we hope!) discriminating based on demonstrated ability to perform the
job functions. So we can't simply request job adverts avoid
“discriminatory job offers”.

What seems to be the issue is that some people find the particular
stated discriminatory *criteria* to be objectionable ones. So
presumably you would want such a request to say something like
“Please no job offers that discriminate based on objectionable
criteria”.

Hopefully when I present it like that the problem becomes apparent:
who is going to define “objectionable criteria” for job offers, and
what authority do they have for that definition?

--
 \      “If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly |
  `\                      owned if it is not shared.” —Saint Augustine |