Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

also sprach Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> [2008.11.26.1136 +0100]:
> So what? The same can be said (for example) for hiring only
> females for certain jobs ("nicer telephone voice", "more appealing
> to (male) customers", whatever crap).
>
> That's also (somewhat) standard practice in Germany, while being
> illegal.

No, it is not illegal if you provide a reasonable rationale. It is
only illegal if it's arbitrary.

> I support Jurjs proposal of adding a "Please no discriminatory job
> offers" or such to http://lists.debian.org/debian-jobs/

I oppose to have such a statement there, unless you manage to
succinctly define what constitutes a "discriminatory job offer" and
what does not, which is internationally valid.

> And I also suggest not to freak out about every bit of
> discrimination, esp. as this project is foremost about creating
> a free universal operating system...

I know the folks who posted the original job offer and I am ashamed
of our project producing such a response. Free software does not
preclude morose small-mindedness for me.

gentoo: the performance placebo.