Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> You may be 70 and capable to do a job which required me to invest 2
> years into you, but the chance of you waking up dead is far higher
> than of a 30-year-old. Plain fact, no discrimination.

More accurately: it *is* discrimination (because people are being
selected based on some criterion), but what is at issue is whether it
is *unfair* discrimination.

> Discrimination is a trendy word which bites, because it's been
> hammered upon us by the media and politicians to the point of no
> return, has completely lost its meaning, and has managed to cause
> serious damage to such things as tolerance and sensible judgement.

Indeed; discrimination is essential to getting anything done at all.
The trick is to avoid unfair discrimination.

> Please don't succomb to this trend. It blurs your vision and
> prevents you from identifying and properly reacting to real
> instances of discrimination.

Using the correct phrase “unfair discrimination” helps communicate
more directly what is at issue.

--
 \       “I am amazed, O Wall, that you have not collapsed and fallen, |
  `\            since you must bear the tedious stupidities of so many |