Re: About the use of epicene "they" in technical documents.

* MJ Ray [Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:20:26 +0100]:

> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> > * Andreas Tille [Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:15:56 +0200]:
> > > Yes, and the funny thing about this is that I've always seen men very engaged
> > > in this kind of discussion and I have the boring feeling that they are using
> > > this as kind of excuse for not doing something else to make sitation of genders
> > > equal.

> > Whoa, is that a feeling or an accusation?

> I see "feeling" clearly there on the second line.  Why suggest Andreas
> Tille is dishonest like that?

Slapping prefixes around does not magically exempt you from taking
responsibility for your words (and with this I don't mean Andreas wanted
to do that, I'm merely replying to your comment).

If I say on list "I have the feeling MJ Ray would rape a baby if that'd
make him member of the SPI board", it'd be moronic on my part to expect
you to calmly reply "No, that's not true" instead of something else.

HTH,

--
Adeodato Simó