Re: Using the BTS instead of a different system? (Was: RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs))

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:16:29PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> If we called this field a summary, one interface to use it could be to
> mail nnnn-summary@bugs.debian.org to set a new summary. This would add
> the message to the detailed bug log, [...]

That more or less means having a particular message in the bug log be
the "summary", so adding:

	Summary-Mail: 6

to db-h/nn/nnnnnn.summary, a -summary alias that updates the Summary-Mail
field to that mail's number, and probably a "summary <bug> <msg>" control
command as well. Presumably Summary-Mail: should either default to unset
(there is no summary), or the initial bug report.

Not sure what the display should look like. It could be just a link
to the particular message, or it could be the entire summary message
separated by <hr>'s or similar, or it could be the first paragraph or
n lines of the summary message.

> would be available, and the newest summary would be displayed at the top
> of the bug report. It would probably also be useful to have a way to get
> a bug report's newest summary out of the bts and into $EDITOR so minor
> modifications can easily be made and sent back to the bts.

In that case it'd probably be good for the summary messages themselves
to be considered "boring".

Cheers,
aj