Re: Planet policy?

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 09:20:55PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> I read Planet Debian for the *non-Debian* posts.  What somebody's apartment
> in Japan looks like, what the trip to Berlin was like, etc.  Maybe what
> their Debian development area looks like...
>
> It's good to get to know our fellow developers as whole people, where Debian
> is part -- but not all -- of their lives.

Seconded :)

My feelings about this probably are probably best illustrated by the
following.  Last year, I set up Planet Haskell.  Being the guy who did
the work, I ended up as the Planet Haskell editor and policy-maker, and
the policy I set up for that planet was adapted from what I felt was the
unstated Planet Debian policy:

  A common misunderstanding about Planet Haskell is that it republishes
  only Haskell content. That is not its mission. A Planet shows what is
  happening in the community, what people are thinking about or doing.
  Thus Planets tend to contain a fair bit of "off-topic" material. Think
  of it as a feature, not a bug.

  A blog is eligible to Planet if it is being written by somebody who is
  active in the Haskell community, or by a Haskell celebrity; also
  eligible are blogs that discuss Haskell-related matters frequently,
  and blogs that are dedicated to a Haskell topic (such as a software
  project written in Haskell). Note that at least one of these
  conditions must apply, and virtually no blog satisfies them all.

  (from http://planet.haskell.org/policy.html)

The part about "a Haskell celebrity" was intended to cover people like
Philip Wadler, one of the main designers of the language, whose current
interests lie elsewhere.  Similarly, I believe Ian Murdock easily
qualifies as "a Debian celebrity" and as such is eligible for a Planet
Debian listing :)

Mutatis mutandis, I personally believe this is the correct policy for
any planet.  Including Planet Debian.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/