Re: When Debian 4.1 will arrive... will anyone care?

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 05:34:39PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:

> >> - because it's much harder to go back

> > are you talking theory or practice here? because IN PRACTICE, it isn't.
> > i've upgraded and downgraded packages at will with no particular
> > difficulty. even libc6 on occasion.

> I must admit that I don't have much experience in downgrading.  But at
> least in theory it must be easier if it involves less packages...

For my part, I am very much cognizant that I have written maintainer scripts
that do not smoothly support downgrades -- because it would have been
significant extra effort to get it right, and downgrades are not supported.

(Well, there was that one NMU of libapache2-mod-perl2 which supports
downgrading, but that fell out as a freebie when implementing proper support
for all the documented maintainer script use cases in the policy manual. ;)