Re: When Debian 4.1 will arrive... will anyone care?

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 12:52:34PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 19:43 +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
>> > 1. why is this allegedly a 'benefit'? what's so special about
>> > libraries?
>> > why is a new libc6 or libssl etc more scary than a new apache or php
>> > etc?
>>
>> When using a backports package, the breakage is confined to that
>> package. When pulling in newer libs aswell, it might be that some
>> totally unrelated part of the system, e.g. another service on that host,
>> breaks because of a change of behaviour in that library that is not
>> triggered by the application for which I upgraded it.
>
> all very good in theory.
>
> the trouble with theory is that in theory, theory and practice are the
> same...but in practice, they're not. practice trumps theory every time,
> because it's what actually happens rather than what someone thinks might
> happen.

If you're so keen on practice, can you show any examples of breakages in
backports, and explain how they would have been avoided by just
installing the package and its dependencies from testing or unstable?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)