Re: When Debian 4.1 will arrive... will anyone care?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:23:58PM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) [070415 21:01]:
> > I think testing already supports that to some extent, and that the bits
> > where it does not can be worked on. Creating another branch does not
> > seem like something useful to me.
>
> but it is requested a LOT by people who have to run stable (huge)
> installations with some new apps on top. php is a popular
> candidate to have from backports on a lot of big german hosters,
> for example. If they could help somehow they would, as debian is
> dominating the market completly and this is a very common
> problem.

why the obsession with backports?

contrary to popular belief and self-delusion, 'stable+backports' is NO
LONGER STABLE.

the only 'advantage' to using 'stable+backports' over 'stable+some
packages from unstable or testing' is that you don't have that nasty
label 'unstable'. to get that crucially important 'benefit', you're
using packages from a repository with unsigned packages by unknown
maintainers.

IMO, if you need a 'stable' system with some newer packages, you're
better off learning how apt's pinning stuff works than bothering with
backports.  it's not hard.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>