Re: do all of MJRs subjects sound like they were ripped from the Daily Mail? [was: Re: Is debian profiting from forced child labour?]

This one time, at band camp, Steve Langasek said:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:21:55PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, MJ Ray said:
> > > Also I assume Joerg Jaspert's reply is serious, even if I think it's
> > > mistaken - if someone produced a CD of our distribution that did
> > > globally-illegal activities by default and sold it labelled as
> > > "official debian", I hope the project would act against them.
>
> > Why do you hope that?  What part of the DFSG leads you to believe we
> > should?  And illegal in what jurisdiction?
>
> The DFSG does not, and should not, control our licensing of the Debian
> trademarks.

Of course not.  However, it is the only set of principles that everyone
here has agreed to.

> It is true that the DFSG and the Social Contract are the only principles for
> which there is an a priori consensus in Debian[1].  I find it distasteful
> that some people seem to use this very fact as an argument against taking
> ethical stances as a project on matters unrelated to software licensing, as
> if it's not even worth asking whether there are other points that we can
> agree on as a community.  Indeed, I believe this attitude has contributed
> significantly to the more dysfunctional aspects of the Debian community.

The wide variety of what can be considered ethical makes me feel that
it's probably not worth it for things not directly related to software,
or matters having to do with us getting along as a project and
continuing to at least vaguely function.  Personally, I find any form of
coerced labor, be it child labor, slavery, or wage slavery, distasteful.
This doesn't mean I find it interesting or useful to ask if the project
will take a stand on any or all of them.  There are better forums for
those sorts of things, and groups better placed to make a difference in
those struggles.