Re: Planet policy?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 07:28:41PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On to, 2007-08-09 at 14:43 +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > I think that is a great idea. I wouldn't subscribe to it, under the assumption
> > that p.d.o would be effectively a superset of the content, but it would at least
> > satisfy those who are not interested in non-technical postings.

> That's assuming there are such people, but no-one's said they would
> subscribe to it, yet, so I'm going to assume there aren't any.

The line between posts I'm interested in and those I'm not is not one of
technical vs. non-technical; there are plenty of non-technical posts that
I'm interested in because the poster has a writing style that appeals to me,
or because they're someone I know personally, or because they generally
write good technical blog entries so I'm also interested in having a glimpse
of who they are as people.

Evan's is one of the blogs I routinely skip, because
- the blog very much follows a "journal" style, recording the day's events,
  with the result that there's a lot of content, very little of which is
  inherently of interest to me
- his blog titles tell nothing about the content of the entry, making
  selective reading impractical
- I haven't yet seen an entry of his be about something Debian-related.

OTOH, I read John Goerzen's entries because he's an interesting writer.

So I don't see any objective difference between these that could be useful
in distinguishing between "things that should be on Planet Debian" and
"things that shouldn't be on Planet Debian".  It's just a line between
"things Steve enjoys reading" and "things Steve doesn't enjoy reading",
which isn't Debian's problem.