Re: Debian Trademarks Summary

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 12:48:26AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> ] Just to be clear, the two debian logos are currently under the restrictive
> ] copyright licences described on http://www.debian.org/logos/ [...]
>
> That's no longer the case; both logos are now available under the MIT
> license, however a public announcement hasn't been made pending some
> details.

What's the delay?  We get knocked for this often, so it would be great
to finally have it resolved.

Are the logos truly available under the new licence if no-one has a
copy of that licence yet?

If a tree falls in the forest when no-one is near, is it noisy?

> ] Personally, I'm not surprised that there was not much progress on
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yes, clearly no progress was made, and certainly all the progress that wasn't
> made was in spite of anything I might have done. [...]

I did not write there was no progress.

You did things (for example, delegating to Branden, which is also
linked from the page), but you did also write some utter nonsense and
how did our trademark licensing progress?  Here's what I found on the
debian project side in review:

April 2006:
 - restrictive copyright licences and 1998 trademark policy
 - Draft new trademark licence by Benj. Mako Hill

April 2007:
 - restrictive copyright licences and 1998 trademark policy
 - Draft new trademark licence by Branden Robinson

So I wrote there was not much progress.  If you made some stunning
leap forwards that I missed, let me know.

> >  [...] so please don't blame -legal or SPI for our delays.
>
> It's likewise nice to see we're back to "-legal" not being a mailing
> list, but an unconstituted advisory body that manages to be a responsible
> body, somehow.

No, -legal *is* a mailing list, so please don't blame it for the
project's delays in unscrewing its trademarks.

> Yeesh.

That's pretty much the noise I was making during the debian and
trademarks Debconf session yesterday afternoon!  Speakers seemed not
to have done basic research, but were still happy to describe the
situation and suggest various causes.  It will be interesting to watch
the recording and see whether my perception is accurate - I wasn't
making notes because I was stunned.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef