Re: Debian Trademarks Summary

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 12:48:26AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/trademarks.html

] Just to be clear, the two debian logos are currently under the restrictive
] copyright licences described on http://www.debian.org/logos/ (set by
] votes in 1999) and not currently suitable for inclusion in the debian
] operating system, but the project is currently in the process of changing
] this. I expect an announcement from SPI soon.

That's no longer the case; both logos are now available under the MIT
license, however a public announcement hasn't been made pending some
details.

] Personally, I'm not surprised that there was not much progress on
] our trademark during 2006-2007, with a Debian Project Leader who writes
] utter rubbish like "The DFSG [...] doesn't cover patents or trademarks"
] but maybe we can get moving again now, and make debian more fun by
] fixing this mess at long last, instead of it being thrown up over our
] shoes each time we complain about someone else using trademarks to
] obstruct free software.

Yes, clearly no progress was made, and certainly all the progress that wasn't
made was in spite of anything I might have done.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/02/msg00019.html

>  * there's a draft trademark license that we've been waiting for the
>  project to do something with it for many months (mentioned on-list
>  Sep 2005 and on planet May 2006 AFAICT), so please don't blame -legal
>  or SPI for our delays.

It's likewise nice to see we're back to "-legal" not being a mailing
list, but an unconstituted advisory body that manages to be a responsible
body, somehow.

Yeesh.

Cheers,
aj