Re: When Debian 4.1 will arrive... will anyone care?

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> it's annoying too because the whole premise of backports is based on how
> scary 'unstable' is, and backports is just another variant of unstable.

To me, the main positive feature of stable is that it is, well, stable.

Usually when I run "apt-get update; apt-get (dist-)upgrade", nothing
happens.  And if a security update drops in, I can in many cases still
decide to do it the afternoon or next week (depending on my judgement of
how it affects my system).

In other words, if something worked the last couple of weeks, I can rely
on it and it will work the same way the next weeks.  If I'm using
testing, unstable (or backports of a particular package), it might work
much better tomorrow, but it works differently.

The point with backports is that I can decide for exactly which packages
I want possible changes, and the rest is as stable (and old) as I'm used
to.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster